Ocean Commentary

Brief Summary

For this render, there were not too many problems encountered when it came to the actual overall quality of the scene, there was however some initial difficulty in getting the render to work on my machine. The problem was that while the in viewport simulation was easily manipulated and relatively intuitive, attempting to see the rendered view resulted in a number of errors, once again, I took to the SideFX forums to look for a fix, and as it turned out it was a relatively simple one which involved connected two pre existing nodes in the OUT menu context.

After this it was fairly smooth sailing, I spent a considerable amount of time playing around with the wave instancing parameters until i achieved a look that I liked, after which I began to render the scene, which to my surprise took an incredible amount of time at 30+ hours, this surprised me initially because there were no actual particles to be simulated within the scene, but as I later found out, most of the rendering time was due to the complex material shaders being applied to the grid.

In terms of changes I would make looking back on this shot, I would definitely spend more time on the foam and white top sections of the material builder, which I think would have elevated the realism of my ocean, as well as this, I potentially would have created a large tiled version of the ocean to show off the capabilities of the tools, but this would have increased my render times significantly.

My final render can be viewed here.