Final Output Guideline

For my final artefact, I now have to lay out the details of what shots will be included in the showreel.

Modelling Showcase

I intend to create two detailed models within Maya; a Playstation 4 Controller and a Canon camera lens. I decided upon these objects for two reasons, one being that both objects small granular details that will challenge my modelling ability, since the objects will need to be highly detailed so that they will hold up in extreme close up. The second reason being that the objects are readily available to me to use as a reference guide. I will then take these models, UV unwrap them, then texture them within Substance Painter. Once the modelling and texturing is complete, I will composite the models into a still image using Blender.

• 30 Seconds
  • 360 view of both models – Wireframes and Textured
  • Still image render + Breakdown of Lighting and Shadows

Camera Mapping Showcase

For this section I will be mapping out a subway / train platform, I chose this environment since these areas tend to have a lot of sharp edges and different textures, which will help me when first lining up the perspective of the ground plane with the environment. I will map out and create the geometry for the scene, and then move onto baking out the textures and replacing them  edited versions or replacements made with Photoshop. Once this is all completed I will display the map by rendering a short camera move through the space.

• 30 Seconds
  • Rendered camera animation moving through the map
  • Breakdown showing the untextured scene, the original image and the edited / replaced textures

3D Track / Matchmoving Showcase

For my matchmoving showcase I plan on using the footage recorded from a recent workshop with my tutor. I will display my track by showing overlaying markers / grids onto the footage, as well as creating a quick model to be placed into the scene to show the accuracy of the track.

• Tracked footage overlayed with markers / grids
  • Model tracked into the environment

The final showreel should fall somewhere between the 1-2 minute mark, going by a conversation with Escape Studios, who informed me that this was the average optimal length for a showreel.

I will also be recording my full process through these shots, which will be featured on my blog upon submission.